Home

Home

Monday, April 14, 2014

Magical Coldbrew



The weather seems to be finally changing around here.  There is a collective sigh of relief in our region as we watched our thermometers creep into the 70s this weekend.

Now, many people may be stocking up on ice cream or making popsicles with the warmer temperatures, but I have a different craving.  Coffee.  Yes, it's true, I'm not a cozy, baby-it's-cold-outside, need-a-pair-of-slippers, coffee drinker.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good, hot cup of coffee on a cold day.  However, my true devotion is for sweet, creamy, icy cold, black goodness.

It's important at this point that we discuss how there is a right way and a wrong way to make iced coffee.  The wrong way is to take some brewed coffee, let it cool, and then dump it over ice.  Don't do that. Please.

If the previously mentioned method is, in fact, how you make your iced coffee, fear not!  I have exactly what the doctor (or, ya know, crazy and slightly crunchy pregnant lady) ordered.

Let's start with my favorite kitchen tool.  A mason jar.  This one is a half gallon wide mouth.  I love jars.  No really, I LOVE jars.  You will probably come to find that out on your own pretty quickly.  But now there's no question.  So don't leave me comments asking if I love jars.  Or send me emails.  I'm bad with email anyway.  Just ask my husband.  Anyhoo...

Half gallon, wide mouth jar.  Got it?

Do you know how hard it is to photograph clear things?

Grab some coffee.  Grind it.  
It occurs to me that I should have snapped a picture of the coffee I used.  But I didn't.  Use your imagination.  On a side note, did you know that Sams Club carries fair trade coffee now?

For the half gallon jar I used around 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups ground coffee.

Mason jars have measurements on the side.  Handy, right?




At this point, I filled the jar half way up with water and shook it really well to saturate the coffee grounds.
It's going to look like mud at this point.  Sorry.


Go ahead and fill your jar up the rest of the way with water and shake it again.  Oh, and for goodness sake, put on the lid before you shake it.  Common sense, people, common sense.


Now put it beside all your other lovely jars with crazy concoctions and admire them for a minute.  Leave it for 24 hours.  It's ok, this will all be worth it tomorrow.



Give yourself a pat on the back for everything you got done this morning in your jammies.  And apparently without brushing your hair...
The lighting in my kitchen is horrible for photos.  Yeah, it's the lighting.


The next morning, strain your heavenly liquid into another jar using a colander and a coffee filter.  Don't forget to compost your used grounds!



Now comes the magical part.  Get yourself the highest quality cream you can find, some raw milk, a sweetener, and some ice.


I was going to tell you the quantities I used but I didn't measure wanted you to be creative. ;)
My favorite sweetener for cold things is pure maple syrup.  It will still dissolve even if it's not heated.


Also, this is what happens when it's a beautiful day and the chickens haven't had their coffee.  Do not leave the coffee unattended.

Do not give the chickens coffee.  They'll never be able to sleep.



Well, there you have it.  Now you know how to make a proper glass of cold brew coffee.  Ignorance is NOT bliss, people.  Educate yourself. :)




How do you take your coffee?  Cream, sugar, or straight up black?