Home

Home

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dark and Delicious Chocolate Fudge Syrup

Chocolate.



You're hooked now, aren't you?

I am a fan of chocolate, but let me be frank.

"Hi, Frank"

No, not that frank.  Let me be...honest.  Yes, let me be honest,  I am a chocolate snob.  Not even in a sense of the chocolate needing to be fair trade or organic. (Although, those are definitely bonuses).  I love me some good dark chocolate.  No, not a certain brand of "special" dark chocolate.  Ick.  I mean real dark chocolate.  Chocolate flavored wax is not acceptable. *cough*

I present to you my very favorite dark and delicious chocolate syrup.  It's the best.  Put it in a jar with some raw milk, give it a shake and you are good to go.  So, without further delay...


Our cast of characters will include:
1 1/2 cups Sucanat (I ran mine through a coffee grinder to make it powdery)
1 cup cocoa (If you don't like it too dark feel free to ease up on this)
1 cup water
a pinch of Real Salt
1-2 Tablespoons Butter (the higher quality, the better)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (mine was homemade.  I should probably teach you how to do that :) )

Sucanat is my sweetener of choice.  I'm sure you could substitute another sweetener with not much trouble.

First take your 1 1/2 cups Sucanat,



and your 1 cup of cocoa


Stir them together in a medium-large sauce pan.  Use a bigger one than you think you need.  You DO NOT want this stuff to boil over.  Add a pinch of salt.


Whisk in the water.


Do you like my purple whisk?  It's new :D

Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to low.


Stir it often!  You will want to boil this around 12 minutes.  The less you boil it, the thinner the syrup.  The more you boil it, the thicker the syrup.  I love customizable recipes :D.

Turn off the heat and add a generous blob of butter. (That's 1-2 T for those of you who second guess your blobs.)


Watch the butter get all melty and sigh a little.


Next, stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.


To finish it off, pour it in the cutest jar you can find.  This pint jar fit mine perfectly.


This would be fantastic over ice cream, in milk, or especially in my favorite iced coffee.



Let me know how your version of this recipes turns out!  

What is your favorite sweetener?